Downsized and out in Bristol and Somerset

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Top bird

This isn't supposed to be a "links I think you'll find interesting" kinda blog, but I've just seen this story about a parrot who can have conversations and it's so amazing I think you'll, y'know, find it interesting.
I'm not sure it isn't a hoax, it's that crazy. And I definitely don't go for the telepathy stuff. But, dammit, the thing can use past and present tenses and form sentences to talk about new experiences, it clearly isn't just repeated stuff, ahem, parrot-fashion.
I wonder if I will one day be able to teach my chickens to talk.
Perhaps the reason parrots, mynah birds and so on are the ones most commonly known to talk is that they have lives worth talking about; a chicken's conversation would probably be little more than: "Hi, how are you? Me? yeah, yeah I'm fine as it goes. I laid another egg today but it disappeared, as usual - honestly, you try to keep an eye on them, but as soon as your back's turned they just go walkies every time. God knows where they end up. Apart from that I did some grubbing around and scratching; got scared a few times and that bloody cockerel was hassling me for most of the afternoon, but all in all, nothing much to report. At least we haven't seen that fox around lately, phew, did I tell you about the time last year when he nearly got through the fence? I did? Oh. What's been happening in your life then?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Fizzwhizz said...

I did not know you had a hamster. Hasn't that been a little difficult with the OCD and all? But more to the point, does it have a hamster dragster which is the coolest rodent toy ever?

February 2, 2005 at 3:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home