Downsized and out in Bristol and Somerset

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Waiting…

The interview guy said he'd get back to me "in the early days of next week". That was on Friday morning. It's now the early days of next week and I haven't heard a peep yet. Damn him! Damn him!
I'm trying not to care, because I know it's only a job and will probably be boring just like all the other jobs I've ever had (apart from any that have involved working for Taxloss, obviously) but failing.
Waiting to hear about a job interview is like waiting for a call from a bloke you've just met. There's the initial confidence that he will call, then the anxiety as time passes, accompanied by increasingly less-confident assuring of self that boy time is different and that just because he said he'd call on Tuesday doesn't mean he won't leave it until Thursday or even later, then the slowly dawning realisation that actually he's not going to call, followed by the eventual conclusion that you're ugly, boring, undesirable, possibly foul-breathed and should have shagged him then and there while you had the chance and not tried to make him think you were respectable by telling him to take you out for a date or two before you got ur freak on even though you knew it was a given that you'd jump into bed by 9.30 on the first date anyway.
OK, so when it comes to a job interview, maybe the last bit doesn't quite apply, but I have got increasingly niggly worries about what I should have said and how I came across. Did I seem witty and confident or needy and uptight? Will that feature that I left him to show the breadth of my experience work against me because it's a bit shit, even though I did point out twice that I wrote it a long time ago and I've got much better since then? Were there any vegetables stuck in my teeth?
And all this while Bessie is in Nicaragua and Mrs Mod is laid up in Yorkshire with a runny tummy - how is a girl expected to cope with this kind of stress without a brace of best friends easily to hand?

1 Comments:

Blogger Fizzwhizz said...

Damn it woman, you're right. Maybe I should send a card to the Maudsley people as well. Hell, at the time I felt I came across well, and then I thought I did a damn good job of the little test they sent me, so if it's not good enough then it's best that I don't get the job coz clearly I would struggle with it anyway. I'm sure there'll be plenty of other work for me and if not, I'll just live off Prince Charming's meagre wages instead.



























Oh god oh god why hasn't he called?

February 2, 2005 at 3:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home