Downsized and out in Bristol and Somerset

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Executive burn-out claims another victim

I'm not working this week (well, not paid work anyway) so I set myself a target of setting up my little office and sending out some letters to prospective employers in Bristol this week, because, although I do not wish to seem ungrateful to these people who have been paying my bills for the past couple of months, I am getting sick of flogging up and down the M4.
I managed to set up the office (see below) and it's rather nice here in my turret with a view over my grounds and a number of other back gardens. The ivy on our extension is still a vibrant shade of crimson, the early-flowering snowdrops and crocuses in the little pots on my windowsill are starting to push cute little green spikes up out of the earth and the next-door neighbours have had the same pair of jeans hanging on their washing line for more than a week now, causing me to wonder whether they've died/moved out, leaving their horrible barky dog behind? That would explain why it barks so much. If they'd been remotely friendly since we arrived, I'd investigate.
But I can't be arsed to start looking for work. I've found lots of magazines in Bristol that I plan to apply to, but it's amazing how much stuff suddenly needs doing around the house whenever I think about actually writing some letters. Anyway it's 9.45 and I have already chased a bunch of invoices, which I feel was quite a constructive thing to do over breakfast.
Bugger it. I deserve some time off. It's been quite stressful these past few months, not to mention that I'm still recovering from the year I've just spent working godawful hours as chief sub at this magazine.
It's a nice dry day, so maybe I'll go and mend the cat flap. We got one with a magnetic lock on it so Ringo could go in and out and the nasty black intruder cat wouldn't be able to, but he hasn't quite twigged how it works so he's just bust through it instead (and it looks like he's actually undone the screws, which I find quite impressive and slightly unnerving, but they must have worked loose while he was banging at the door with his paw... or did they?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Sundried: Please email me that pic too. I'd love to see it.

Fizzwhizz: I'm no botanist, but early flowering snowdrops? That's very early - don't they flower in spring?

November 10, 2004 at 9:49 AM

 
Blogger Fizzwhizz said...

Well, I'm very glad you asked that, Taxloss, as the main reason for having early snowdrops is so that people go "ooh! snowdrops in autumn! that's unusual". You are indeed correct in thinking that most snowdrops flower between christmas and the end of february, but there are several varieties that flower from October onwards. If you want some I'm sure my dad has thousands of spares.

November 11, 2004 at 5:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home