Downsized and out in Bristol and Somerset

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Floored

God, I really should have chosen a blog template that didn't have titles on each entry. Thinking up bloody headlines for my own bloody blog is like being at bloody work.
Oh, hang on, I am at work.
Well, you know what I mean.
Anyway. What I really wanted to mention was that I am on my first trip up to London to work for a few days and I am sleeping on Bessie's living room floor: she presented me with a futon to sleep on but it is woefully thin so I have augmented it with some of the generous sofa cushions with which her lounge is blessed and it's really quite comfy. Not sure what's going to happen after the generously-padded sofa is removed this weekend, though; it is leaving with one of Bessie's flatmates and another one is moving in, so maybe I will have to use her as a mattress instead.
It's nice to see Bessie and stuff but I'd rather be in Bristol with Prince Charming and Ringo. So I think I am going to have to galvanise myself pretty soon into getting some work down there or making a start on that book I'm always threatening to write - I'm reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time at the moment, and watched a thing on telly about a woman with multiple personalities last night, which has got me thinking about interesting narrators. Particularly as I am interested in magical realism anyway and I don't want it to be a book that's set within some limited attempt to recreate "real life", which seems to lend itself to having characters whose minds work in interesting ways.
I'm also thinking about having a disabled character in there because I'd like to explore the way life is experienced from different viewpoints, and also to use some of the experience I got from having a wheelchair-bound mum (this, and her death, is pretty much the only major Life Suffering I have as yet to base my Great Art upon, so it's bound to pop up somewhere, otherwise all I've got to write about is broken hearts and stuff that everyone already knows about.) But how to avoid going too Ben Elton? Tricky.
I've also been thinking about having some seriously dark stuff in there. But I'm not sure how much I want to let my imagination run that way. If I'm going to give myself nightmares while I'm writing the thing, I want a really fat advance first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home