Downsized and out in Bristol and Somerset

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Should I go to my neighbour's party?

He's a nice bloke, and he came round yesterday to say that he was having a party (it's fancy dress with a bling/chav theme) and also to introduce himself. He's nice enough but we appear to have very little in common (unless he's just pretending to be an IT manager with sensible shoes and actually owns a rocking sound system and a hydroponic airing cupboard) (which I doubt because the party has now officially started and I can't hear a thing).
So, should we go? We decided he must have just been being polite becuase he said "I've come to tell you I'm having a party, which of course you're invited to as well" rather than "I've come to invite you to my party". But I don't want to seem unfriendly and also we're hardly in a position to pick and choose our friends. What do I say next time I see him? Argh.
Maybe will pop in for one drink later when they're all a bit pissed and conversation flows more easily. Would be good to have someone who could feed the cat when we're away. But then, will I get stuck in one of those things like at university when you have to be friends with the people you met in Freshers' Week even though you don't really have much to say to them?

2 Comments:

Blogger Fizzwhizz said...

Obviously, we took the mature, sensible option and spent the night with the curtains drawn pretending to be out but actually watching "Wilde" on telly and intermittently putting glasses against the wall so we could listen to what was going on next door. We were thinking of popping over when everyone was pissed but chickened out.
The next day I saw them over the fence and said sorry for not going, but we'd come over a bit shy about turning up to a party full of strangers, and I think they weren't offended, if anything they were relieved (and to our relief, they didn't say "and by the way, we heard intermittent clinking sounds against the connecting wall, have you any idea what that was?"). SO I think we've escaped without hurting any feelings.
However, they did ask how the gig was that we were supposed to have gone to, so I had to lie, which I normally avoid doing even in situations of potential feeling-hurting because a) I'm really, really bad at it and b) it's against the Buddhist principle of "right speech", an explanation of which I won't bore you with but anyone interested should click here - although having said that, so is idle chatter and gossip, and god knows I do enough of that. Still, baby steps.

October 18, 2004 at 6:10 AM

 
Blogger Fizzwhizz said...

Actually I love a fancy dress do, me, and am wont to put on silly costumes even just when going to a normal party because I think it's fun to dress up (sadly, I know of no pictures on the interweb that show me as a Manta Ray and Prince Charming as a fluffy lobster at a recent "Under the Sea" themed party) but I appreciate they're not for everyone (drugs help). However the way he said "It's bling and chav" like that was the most daring thing he'd ever thought of, did put me off.
In the meantime, check out this guy. Seems like it's a bit of harmless fun, initially, but beware: he goes all religious further into the site. And whatever you do, don't listen to the songs.

October 21, 2004 at 5:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home